What is your age? Trying to determine our demographis to adjust!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Workouts, Fear, and....Dancing????

What's up folks. Back again for another workout post. Let's get right into it....we'll talk later.

AM workout
Back Squat to 5 rep max
Front Squat to 3 rep max

400 meter Lunge - 8 minutes

Incline DB Bench / Back Ext ISO
4x8 / 4x30 seconds
Incline DB Bench / GHD Sit Ups
4x5 / 4x10

PM Workout
3 x 500 meter rows in under 1:50

Annie - 12:30
50 - 40 - 30 - 20 - 10 of Double Unders and Sit Ups

So the first thing that probably popped out up there was the 400 meter lunges. You may or may not think that's far, but after a 1/4 mile of lunges the walk to the water fountain is a long ways. I like doing those lunges because its low impact on the body but you still have to push yourself to finish strong and with a good time.
The PM workout of Annie is a CrossFit Benchmark workout where you do 50 Double Unders followed by 50 Sit Ups followed by 40....30...20...10. Pretty simple workout, the average time is around 9-10 minutes so I have some work to do. The biggest improve is  on the Double Unders. I haven't gotten the technique down just yet so I'm unable to chain large numbers of them together yet. But I have an initial time to beat next time. Always good to have motivation and goals.

This evening got me thinking, when I got to the gym there were some other athletes doing Double Unders and they were pretty damn good at it. Seeing that almost made me not want to do my workout for fear of them seeing me struggle with the exercise. I quickly dismissed that thought and continued as planned. I thought on this moment of fear/embarrassment while I was walking home and how many people I've heard use that same excuse, in gyms and in other daily situations as well.

"Everyone else lifts more than me." "They will think I'm weak if I can't lift as much as them." "I don't want to dance, people will laugh at me."

The last one is usually me until I have a few drinks in me. Regardless, these are negative statements and have no place in the world of an athlete. In reality, all those people you think are watching you are actually looking at themselves in the mirror, checking out their own muscles, or too drunk to care how you are dancing. So get out there, show everyone what you can do, and have some courage and dance like a damn fool.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start in order to be great."
- Aja Barto

1 comment:

  1. I just did Annie the other day too. 11:43. Double unders are my weakness there too. I think it's time to invest in my own high-quality speed rope. Have a favorite brand? I think I'm going to go with http://rxjumpropes.com/.

    ReplyDelete